Gimbap's charm is endlessly trying to transform itself into visual beauty and taste diversity. Gimbap rolled up with rice, spinach, pickled radish, carrots, eggs, beef, etc., and sliced into bite-sized pieces. It is similar to Japanese kim sushi, but unlike Japan, where rice is mixed with vinegar, sugar, and salt, Korean kimbap is seasoned with only sesame oil and salt.
Origin of Kimbap
In 《The Age of Yeolyang》(1819) and 《The Period of Donggukse》(1849), the custom of wrapping rice with seaweed and chamchwi(Edible aster) is recorded in Daeboreum during the New Year , which seems to be the original form of gimbap.
It is long and round, using gimbal, and it is from the 1960s to 1970s that the current form of kimbap became popular. Kimbap was the regular menu for students' spring and autumn picnic lunches. On the morning of a picnic, many people consider the kimbap pod, which they sat next to the mother who was packing lunch, as the best delicacy of their childhood. In the mid-1990s, when'Jongno Gimbap' was created in Hyehwa-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, ingredients such as kimchi and cheese were wrapped once in sesame leaves and then put in sesame leaves, and the kimbap made large by taking a generous amount of rice gained sensational popularity.
Gimbap with various names depending on the ingredients
Ingredients for kimbap include sausage , ham , crab meat , spinach , burdock , pickled radish , egg , tuna , beef , cheese , and mayonnaise , depending on your taste. You can name the kimbap according to the ingredients or shape.
The types of julgimbap are classified according to what is included in the ingredients of the kimbap. The basic raw gimbap contains egg , ham , carrot , pickled radish , meat, cucumber , burdock , and fish cake , which are the basic ingredients , but if other special ingredients are included, the name of the gimbap is named after the ingredients. Among the types of kimbap that are derived and classified in this way, the kimbap commonly sold in the market is as follows: tuna kimbap, cheese kimbap, beef kimbap, kimchi kimbap.
Efficacy of dried laver
Dried laver is a food rich in nutrients such as minerals and vitamins, and is also called the best gift from nature. It is cultivated with good raw materials, so it is black and shiny, and the less impurities, the better it is considered a product.
How to make Kimbap
White rice seasoned with salt and sesame oil, spread thinly on top of lightly grilled laver, rolled with various vegetables and meat, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Gimbap can be easily eaten anywhere, and is useful as a simple lunch, or as a lunch box when going on a picnic or trip. In Korea, it is a typical lunch box menu made by mothers when children go on a picnic.
Ingredients and quantities
4 cups of white rice (920g), 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 4 slices of grilled seaweed, 200 g of minced beef , 4 rows of pickled radish (90g), ⅔ cucumbers (100g), ½ carrots (100g), 3 eggs , Cooking oil, salt, sesame oil 2 tablespoons of
meat seasoning sauce
2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of chopped green onions, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, ⅔ tablespoons of black pepper powder
how to make
1. Prepare the rice as a non-chewy warm rice, mix with salt and sesame oil, and cool slightly.
2. Soak minced beef in meat sauce for 20 minutes and fry in a pan.
3. Cut the pickled radish to the length of the seaweed and cut it with the thickness of a pencil.
4. Cut cucumber into the same length as pickled radish, remove seeds, and cut into pencil thickness. Make sweet candle water, soak the cucumbers for about 30 minutes, pickle it slightly, and then drain the water.
5. Slice carrots finely, add a little salt and fry in a pan to cool.
6. Add a little salt to the egg, loosen it, and boil it thickly. Like other materials, cut it long with the same width as the pencil thickness.
7. Lay the seaweed so that the smooth part faces the seaweed. Place 1 cup of seasoned rice in the center of the seaweed, leave ¼ of the top of the seaweed, and spread the rest of the seaweed. Make sure not to put the rice too thick.
8. Place beef, pickled radish, cucumber, carrot, and egg in the middle of the rice. Roll the gimbal from the inside and press firmly.
9. Apply sesame oil to the knife and cut into 1 cm thick circles.